Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gabriel Michael

On June 22, we went to get our 18 week ultrasound and find out if we were having a boy or a girl. We cannot explain how or why... but our baby did not have a heartbeat. He measured at 17 weeks, which also meant that I had to deliver him. The hospital was wonderful in comforting us. The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck twice, and it was twisted at his belly which cut off everything to him. There is nothing we did that caused it, and it does not mean we will have at-risk pregnancies in the future. It is very unfortunate, and rare, to have a miscarriage in the second trimester.

We are so thankful to have such wonderful friends and family during this time. My friend, Rachel, stayed with Kaitlyn while we were at the hospital. It's very comforting knowing we have such great friends and family during difficult times.

Our Angel, Gabriel Michael, was born at 8:05am. He was 8.5 inches long, and 6.6 ounces. The hospital nurses put together a beautiful memory box for us that had a little bear, rattle, baby ring, and a beautiful hand-made card. The hospital put a butterfly on our door which signified the loss of a baby. They also made a birth certificate for us with his tiny little footprints on it. I got a candle, and put a butterfly on it, to remember him. We received two beautiful flower arrangements at the hospital from Mike's parents and aunt and uncle. We are really looking forward to being around family later this week.


Flowers, memory box, and candle

birth certificate


The Lord will comfort us, and we cling to Him during this time. Psalm 23

6 comments:

The Paulk's said...

Oh my goodness Kim, I am SO SORRY! I had no idea and can't imagine what you're going through right now. You and Mike will be in our prayers and we hope that the Lord will comfort you and give you peace during this difficult time in your life!! Know that you are loved and that Gabriel is in a better place with our God! Please, if you need anything, let us know!

Kieth and Linda Stephas said...

Kim,
We are friends of your grandparents, Herb and Ellie. Our daughter went through a miscarriage too, several years ago, when she was almost 3 months along. How sad to hear of yours too. It's hard to justify why this happens. Only God knows why and the His full plans often times do not make sense to us humans. We just have to believe and trust in the Lord.

Marta said...

Kim, Mike and Kaytlin,
We send all our love in these difficult moments. What a beautiful name for a baby... it is truly an angel. He will always be there watching for his sister, so that is something Kaytlin will have for the rest of her life, her own little angel.
We love you. Close your eyes and feel our biggest hug ever.
Marta, Steve, Gabriel, Alejandra and Coco.

FitNotQuitJess said...

All I can say is I am sorry (eventhough I know that doesn't help) and offer you our prayers and a listening ear if you need it.

Lisa said...

I found your blog through Jamie J. Your post was beautiful and really touched my heart. I'm so sorry for you loss. I said a little prayer for you and your husband, as well as your little angel.

Donielle said...

Just wanted to let you all know that we continue to lift you up! I pray God's peace and comfort for you! We love ya'll!